On 12 Dec 2004, Christopher D. Green wrote:

> It's nice Konrad got on with animals so well. I wonder what his problem
> was with (non-German) humans:
>
> "Nothing is so important for the health of a whole Volk as the
> elimination of 'invirent types': those which, in the most dangerous.,
> virulent increase, like the cells of a malignant tumour, threaten to
> penetrate the body of a Volk ... Especially today the great difference
> depends upon whether or not we can learn to combat decay phenomena, in
> Volk and in humanity, which arise from the lack of natural selection. In
> just this contest for survival or extinction, we Germans are far ahead
> of other culture-Volks."

Yes, Konrad did have some disturbing things to say while living in
Germany during the Third Reich.  He also said in 1940:

"Usually a man of high value is disgusted with special intensity by
slight symptoms of degeneracy in men of the other race...socially
inferior human material is enabled..to penetrate and finally to
annihilate the healthy nation. The selection for toughness, heroism,
social utility..must be accomplished by some human institution
[presumably, he has concentration camps and extermination in mind
here] if mankind...is not to be ruined by..degeneracy. The racial
ideal as the basis of our state has already accomplished much in this
respect" [we're very efficient].

(have a source, but not handy)

And this:

According to Dewsbury (2003, citing Cloud, 1973), Lorenz (1940) said
that "humanity must "rely on the healthy feelings of the best of our
people" for the "extermination of elements of the population loaded
with dregs" ".

Oh yes. Lorenz did apologize for these unspeakable comments after the
war. And he did love greylag geese.

Stephen

Dewsbury, D. (2003). The 1973 Nobel Prize for physiology or medicine:
recognition for behavioral science? American Psychologist, 58, 747--

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.            tel:  (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Department of Psychology         fax:  (819) 822-9661
Bishop's  University           e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Dept web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
TIPS discussion list for psychology teachers at
 http://faculty.frostburg.edu/psyc/southerly/tips/index.htm