Subject: Correcting for chance grading on multiple choice quizzes
From: "Rick Froman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:14:05 -0600

Has anyone ever considered or implemented a grading procedure for
multiple choice tests where you only start counting points earned above
chance?  For example, in the case of my 15 item three-choice quizzes, 6
correct would be one point, 7 would be two points, etc. for a total
possible of 10 points. Any thoughts on doing this?

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman

This year I started requiring my students to get at least 50% to get credit for their multiple choice items. I give 50 item tests so someone score 0-24 would get 0. If the score 25-50 they get that score (for that half of the test). I guess I set my threshold higher than chance.

--

Herb Coleman
Instructional Technology Manager