Title: Message
I think that your rationale should be, "I am not someone who only stores text files."

My 512 meg flash drive is
over half full with PowerPoints and such.  I do the advertising flyers for a campus lecture series and soon I'll have another 50-100 megs in graphics for that.  There are probably a lot of people who don't even need 100 megs, but I doubt that you will stand out in the crowd when you ask for more space.

Nathalie Cote wrote:
Sort of in the area of using technology in teaching psychology:

At my college, faculty are encouraged to keep their computer files on a centralized server system rather than on their desktop hard drive, so that their files get backed up regularly. We were recently notified that we will be limited to 100 MB of server space. Individuals can ask for a higher limit if they can give a good rationale. Even after winnowing out old files and duplicates, I'm at 150 MB, so I'm going to request more space. Now I'm trying to reason out my justification. Part of it will include that I make extensive use of PowerPoint in teaching, and those files are often graphic-heavy space hogs. Given that publishers have started providing us with digital video clips, as I start incorporating those into my PowerPoint slides I can see that I am going to have some even bigger files to store. I don't want to have to carry around a library of CDs - it's much more efficient to keep everything at my fingertips on my faculty server.

I assume that many TIPsters are heavy technology users. My question to you: What are the server space limits that you are subject to? How do you handle your files if you have limited hard drive or server space?

Thanks for your help,
Nathalie

*****
Nathalie Cote', Ph.D.