There's an element from this discussion that I think has been missing, and
that is the LACK of pressure from professors to bring prices down.

I can't say that I vilify publishers for doing everything they can make as
much money as they can. They aren't non-profit organizations and in that
sense don't differ from Ford or GM. The prices of cars don't spiral
upwards because price is a factor in the buyer's decision. Professors are
textbook buyers, not students, and I've never seen much evidence that
price is a significant factor in professors' buying decisions. It would
seem that textbook publishing would be ripe for a JetBlue-type competitor
which would undercut other publishers prices (if the assumptions behind
this discussion are accurate--namely that publishers are making fat
profits.) Why doesn't such a competitor appear? One possibility is illegal
price-fixing behind the scenes, but I'm usually suspicious of conspiracy
theories. A more plausible theory is that professors don't consider price
an important factor when they adopt textbooks.

I've asked folks at Prentice Hall "what would happen if we cut the price
of my book in half, or by a third?" Their response was that their polls
indicate that professors consistently pick the book they think is best,
and pay little attention to price. So I started asking sales reps from
different companies about this issue, and what they told me is consistent
with that: (1) price seldom comes up in discussions with professors as a
factor in their decision (although professors grumble about high prices
generally); (2) no professor ever indicates that they would switch from
one book to another if it were cheaper.

It seems unreasonable to expect publishers to behave unlike every other
for-profit company in the US (and elsewhere). The question is why the
market doesn't provide a niche for a low-cost competitor.