We were discussing Broca's and Wernicke's areas last night in Intro. and
how damage to Broca's area means the person has trouble with speaking a
language and damage to Wernicke's area means the person has trouble
understanding spoken language. I was under the impression that with
"language" we are talking about English, Spanish, French, etc., but a
student asked if the person with the damage to Broca's area can make up
their own sort of language as a way to communicate. Also, with Wernicke's
area can the person relearn a language to understand what is being said to
him/her?  I guess it all comes down to the actual definition of language.

Nina

Dr. Nina L. Tarner
325 Math/Psychology Building
Department of Psychology