In a message dated 2/9/05 11:15:18 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
A side question: a few years ago I read about research that suggested
that there are some fundamental differences between ASL and "ordinary"
languages, such that people who grow up speaking ASL exclusively tend
not to read at the usual (age, peer, etc.) level.  ASL is far more
spatial than spoken (or written) language, and something about that
spatial character generates differences in the way language is
processed.

Does anyone know if that's been confirmed?  I don't recall reading any
more than the one report, and that was in the popular media.

I remember reading that kids who use ASL are using the left hemisphere to process it, in the usual language areas, despite the fact that ASL is spatial and should logically be processed in the right hemisphere.

Riki Koenigsberg