The irrepressible Michael S. asked:

> I can remember reading about a study where some subjects ate
> peanuts (unshelled) and some subjects ate peanuts but they had
> to take the shells off.The conclusion was that those subjects who
> had to take the shells off ate less than the other subjects.
> Does anyone have the reference for this?

And Jon Mueller contributed:

> Schacter, S., and L.N. Friedman 1974 The effects of work and cue
> prominence on eating behavior. Pp. 11*14 in Obese Humans and Rats, S.
> Schachter and J. Rodin, eds. Potomac, Md.: Earlbaum Associates.

As a historical note, I think the earliest mention of this experiment
and the earliest description of what became known as the externality
hypothesis of obesity which supported it was in Schacter's famous
1971 essay, "Some extraordinary facts about obese humans and rats"
(American Psychologist, 26, 129-144).

The nuts were not peanuts but almonds, Schacter said he did the study
with Lucy Friedman, presumably his graduate student at the time, and
the results appeared as unpublished data without reference. The
Schacter and Friedman (1974) paper cited above must be the
publication that later resulted from that study.

I don't believe that the externality hypothesis fared particularly
well, at least if we can believe Judith Rodin, who was prominently
mentioned in Schacter's 1971 essay. The title of her own later essay
(1981) was "Current status of the internal-external hypothesis for
obesity: What went wrong?" (American Psychologist, 36, 361-372).

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.            tel:  (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Department of Psychology         fax:  (819) 822-9661
Bishop's  University           e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Dept web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
TIPS discussion list for psychology teachers at
 http://faculty.frostburg.edu/psyc/southerly/tips/index.htm