On 19 Apr 2005, Christopher D. Green wrote:

> "Oops, sorry," says the CDC, "obesity causes around 26,000 deaths a
> year, not 365,000."
> You heard it here first (from Stephen Black, I believe)

Well, it's a bit late, but I didn't want to let this pass without
comment. Thank you, Chris. It's always gratifying when someone
notices that you said something first (so you don't have to
immodestly point it out yourself).

The problem with the so-called "epidemic" of obesity is that whether
it's an epidemic or not depends on where the cut-offs for BMI are
placed. The lower they are, the greater the number who are deemed at
risk. But like many such cut-offs, they turn out to be more arbitrary
than based on firm science. The accepted cut-offs are that a body
mass index (BMI) of 25 or higher is "overweight" and that of 30 and
higher is "obese". "Overweight" carries the implication that health
hazards start here. An illustration of an unhealthy BMI of 25 is a 5
ft 8 in person weighing 165 lb.

I've been trying to see where these BMI cut-offs of 25 and 30 came
from. They date from at least 1998 (see report of the US National
Institutes of Health on clincial guidelines for overweight and
obesity (at
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/ob_gdlns.pdf)), and are
apparently based on eyeballing of the results of surveys before that
date.  But since that time,  the literature (some of which I cited in
my earlier posts)  contains many challenges to the claim that doom
begins at a BMI of 25. So the "new" conclusion of Flegal et al (2005)
is not so surprising, if anyone had paid attention. Earlier results
showed that the function relating BMI to mortality is either J or U-
shaped, with a wide flat bottom, and mortality rises only slowly with
BMI until quite high levels are reached. For some groups (e.g. Black
women), there's no discernable increase in mortality at even the
highest values of BMI.

But the Flegal study (free at
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/293/15/1861.pdf )  does contain
some startling contrasts to the conventional wisdom, more so than is
conveyed in the news reports. For example, their data show relative
risk of mortality at various levels of BMI, with 95% confidence
intervals. The mean plus confidence interval for relative risk
includes 1.0 (i.e. no increase in risk), for ages 25-69, for all
values of BMI under 35, except for values under 18.5, which have
elevated risk. So the real killers appear to be underweight and only
severe obesity ( BMI of 35 and over; e.g. a  5 ft 8 in person
weighing 230 lb). In fact, they say "The relative risk in the
overweight category (BMI 25 to <30) was low, often below 1" (which
means _less_ risk); thus, "Overweight was associated with a slight
reduction in mortality relative to the normal weight category".
Imagine that.

A similar finding for obesity, BTW, was reported way back in 2001 by
Katzmarzyk et al for a follow-up of the Canada Fitness Survey. They
showed that the mean + 95% confidence interval for the hazard ratio
(essentially a relative risk) only exceeded 1.0 for the those at BMI
of 35 or above. Unfortunately, they chose to de-emphasize what they
had found, inexplicably concluding  "The results generally support
the use of the graded classification system recommended by the WHO
and the U.S. NIH fvor the identification of overweight and obesity".
But what the Katzmarzyk study and the recent Flegal study instead
show is that only severe obesity (35 and over) should be of concern.

Another thought: the finding of increased mortality with low BMI
(18.5 or less) is curious and contradictory to findings in many
species (not us yet) that extreme caloric restriction can prolong
life. Undoubtedly this poor showing for low BMI is helped along by
the inclusion of people with low body weight due to illness.

And a final thought on a prominent mortality risk factor. We all know
that high cholesterol is bad, and low is good. But did you know that
there's a direct relationship between cholesterol level and cognitive
performance? That the lower your cholesterol, the poorer your ability
to think and to perform a neurobehavioural (visuomotor) task? (I
resist saying "and the dumber you are", although that's not too far
off what was found).  See, for example, Elias et al (2005) and Zhang
et al (2004). And pass the poutine
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine].

Stephen