On 3 May 2005, Christopher D. Green wrote:

> Father of the Mozart-effect dies.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/03/education/03shaw.html

I found this biography of Gordon Shaw interesting, particularly for
its omission of any mention of Shaw's co-contributor on the Mozart
effect, Frances Rauscher. As she was the first-named author on their
celebrated experiment (Rauscher et al, 1993), I had assumed that the
work originated with her.

But according to the biography, it was Gordon Shaw all the way, and
he was a physicist, not an experimental psychologist, to boot (not
that there's anything wrong with that, Allen).

Stephen

Rauscher, F., Shaw, G., & Ky, K. (1993). Music and spatial task
performance. Nature, 365, 611.
Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.            tel:  (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Department of Psychology         fax:  (819) 822-9661
Bishop's  University           e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Dept web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
TIPS discussion list for psychology teachers at
 http://faculty.frostburg.edu/psyc/southerly/tips/index.htm