I know I'm late with this entry, but I can't resist going on record
with my opinions on this interesting topic. Also, I'm looking forward
to the opportunity to once again crush others to dust rather than
engaging in discussion. Get out that vacuum cleaner!

To no one's surprise, I vote in the negative. While it's true that
science is a modern concept and none of us can fully define it to
anyone else's satisfaction, there are certain criteria for which
there is more-or-less agreement. The more of these that are
fulfilled, the more certain we are that the person really functions
as a scientist. These include such things as empirical investigation
and systematic collection of data (with safeguards against bias),
generation of testable predictions and falsifiability, the
willingness to accept that one can be wrong based on experimental
results,  the incorporation of the advances of other scientists in
one's work, the demonstration that the theory which is generated
produces results of long-lasting and real value. Freud fails
(miserably)  on all of these. So I can say with confidence that I
know scientists, and Sigmund Freud was no scientist. What he produced
were fairy tales, X-rated and unsuited for children, but fairy tales
nevertheless.

Interestingly, an early critic of Freud, Percival Bailey, did
conclude that Freud was a scientist, but briefly. He gave a
conference presentation titled "Sigmund Freud: Scientific Period
(1873-1897). In answer to a question why he stopped so early in
Freud's career, he replied:

"If you will accept the term science in the sense of
Naturwissenschaft, or _natural_ science, Freud didn't do any more
"natural scientific" research after 1897. He ended there. After that
what he did was speculate. He never tried to subject any of his ideas
to experimental tests, and furthermore, he was quite hostile to the
suggestion...So I stopped at 1897 because that was the last time that
he wrote a scientific paper in the sense of Naturwissenschaft".
(Bailey, 1964).

And while citing authorities on the matter, I have an unassailable
source on the question, the greatest authority on Freud that ever
lived. I speak not of Peter Gay, Frank Sulloway, Frederick Crews,
Frank Cioffi, or even Allen Esterson. I speak of...the great man
himself, who said, in a rare moment of honesty:

"You often estimate me too highly. For I am actually not at all a man
of science, not an observer, not an experimenter, not a thinker. I am
by temperament nothing but a conquistador--an adventurer, if you want
it translated"

(Freud, letter to Wilhelm Fliess Feb 1, 1900--and I thank A. Esterson
for locating the source in his TIPS post of Jan 28/05).

I also agree that the Rosenzweig-Freud correspondence is most
revealing of Freud's attitude to science. He slaps the eager young
Rosenzweig down for suggesting that his claim to have experimentally
verified repression is in any way necessary, that  he [Freud] "cannot
put much value on such confirmations because the abundance of
reliable observations on which these propositions rest [untrue,
because he had no such "reliable observations"] makes them
independent of experimental verification". Then he gives the
equivalent of a Trudeauesque shrug of dismissal, "Still, it can do no
harm" (Rosenzweig, 1992).   Get lost, Rosenzweig!

BTW, a photograph of the famous letter [written in German] is
reproduced in Rosenzweig (1992). Some time ago I tried to find out
where the letter was, as I had seen the same photograph in an book by
Weiner with the note "Sigmund Freud Copyrights, London". But the
acting director of the Freud Archives told me he didn't have it, nor
was it in the Freud Collection at the University of Essex, where he
referred me. The best bet seems to be that it's lying undiscovered
within the papers left by Rosenzweig at Washington University in St.
Louis. The paper on repression summarily dismissed by Freud is more
accessible: it's Rosenzweig and Mason (1934).

I have one final issue to comment on, the claim that the theory of
evolution is an example of a respected theory without predictive
validity. I would say this is a myth or, at least, greatly
exaggerated. My understanding is that numerous experiments exist
using organisms which reproduce rapidly, such as bacteria, yeast, and
perhaps even fruit flies which verify adaptive evolution in the face
of imposed environmental conditions. Also, there's a kind of
backwards prediction (which sounds like an oxymoron). One of the
claims of evolution is that it proceeds in an orderly fashion, more
primitive organisms first, then the more advanced. So it's predicted,
for example,  that human remains will never be found in the same
geologic strata as dinosaur bones, Alley Oop notwithstanding. This
prediction is tested every time a group of paleontologists goes out
on a dig, and it has never been disconfirmed. Finally, I browsed the
talkorigin website (at
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/section1.html) and I see a
massive collection of entries, each subdivided into "prediction",
"confirmation", and "potential disconfirmation".  Looks good to me.

Stephen