Subject: anti-therapy
From: "Beth Benoit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:32:08 -0400

Christina Hoff Summers is at it again:  This time putting therapy in her =
sights.  Here's the review of her new book, One Nation Under Therapy:  =
How the Helping Culture is Eroding Self-Reliance, from the New York =
Times.

I thank Beth for providing the book review article from the
NY Times but when I see a book like this reviewed in the
popular press, that is, one that presents itself as a "possibly"
scientific critique (in contrast to a political/polemic or somewhat
loosely based "intellectual analysis" based on a partial review
of research chosen with a partisan agenda in mind) I am reminded
of the situation associated the "Bell Curve".

In that situation some "possibly" scientific assertions were made
but instead of first presenting a review paper to Psychological
Bulletin for peer review, Herrnstein and Murray published their
findings and interpretations in book form, free from the hassles
and criticisms associated with responding to reviewer's "picky"
points about problems in their methodology, analysis, interpretation,
and conclusions.  As a result psychologists and other social scientists
then had to spend the next several years debunking the book because
the popular media gave the book and its authors their 15 minutes of
fame.  I have feeling something similar may happen with the Hoffman
& Satel book if it remains in the public eye.

Since I haven't seen Hoffman & Satel's book but I have to wonder
to what extent does the book cover the empirical research literature
and whether it does so in a comprehensive and fair manner or does
it rely upon "analyses" such as the following which Satel had published
in the online version of National Review:

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/satel200501140730.asp

I wonder, do Hoffman & Satel provide empirical evidence against
the findings of James Pennebacker which shows the therapeutic benefits
of discussing or disclosing of emotional experiences (it seems to me
that Hoffman & Satel would discourage such activities, possibly labelling
it as "whining").  For those who are unfamiliar with Pennebacker's
work, I'd suggest the following:

Pennebaker, James W. Writing about emotional experiences as a
therapeutic process. Salovey, Peter (Ed); Rothman, Alexander J (Ed).
(2003). Social psychology of health. Key readings in social psychology.
(pp. 362-368). New York, NY, US: Psychology Press.

[PsycInfo provides the following abstract:
(from the chapter) For the past decade, an increasing number of
studies have demonstrated that when individuals write about emotional
experiences, significant physical and mental health improvements
follow. The basic paradigm and findings are summarized along with
some boundary conditions. Although a reduction in inhibition may
contribute to the disclosure phenomenon,  changes in basic cognitive
and linguistic processes during writing predict better health. Implications
for theory and treatment are discussed.
(PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2004 APA, all rights reserved)]

Pennebaker, James W; Zech, Emmanuelle; Rime, Bernard. Disclosing
and sharing emotion: Psychological, social, and health consequences.
Stroebe, Margaret S (Ed); Hansson, Robert O (Ed); et al. (2001).
Handbook of bereavement research: Consequences, coping, and care.
(pp. 517-543). Washington, DC, US: American Psychological Association.

Pennebaker, James W. The effects of traumatic disclosure on physical
and mental health: The values of writing and talking about upsetting events.
Violanti, John M (Ed); Paton, Douglas (Ed); et al. (2000). Posttraumatic
stress intervention: Challenges, issues, and perspectives. (pp. 97-114).
Springfield, IL, US: Charles C. Thomas Publisher, Ltd.

[From the PsycInfo abstract]
from the chapter) Sudden life transitions can profoundly influence people's
social, family, physical, and psychological lives. One traditional goal
within
psychology has been to understand and develop ways by which to reduce
the adverse impact of individual and collective traumas. This chapter
discusses 4 major issues surrounding coping with emotional upheavals.
The first concerns the natural sequence of coping that occurs in most
disasters. The second focuses on the advantages of talking about upsetting
experiences and, conversely, the dangers of not talking about emotional
upheavals. The 3rd section deals with evidence that writing about upsetting
experiences is beneficial to health and well-being. The final part of the
chapter discusses these findings within the context of Critical Incident
Stress Management debriefing strategies.
(PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2004 APA, all rights reserved)]

One can use the above summary chapters to track down the specific
research studies that supports the point that disclosure can be therapeutic,
and I understand that one doesn't necessarily need a therapist to gain such
benefits but I think one can see how a therapist might facilitate the
process, especially if one has been taught to "keep it to yourself".

Or has psychology decided that talking about one's problems and trauma
is now just whining?

Mike Palij
New York University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]