----- Original Message -----
> Subject: Re: Question from a student/symbols
> From: "Stephen Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:08:25 -0500
>
> [snip]
>
> NASA through Carl tried again in 1977 with Voyager 1 and Voyager 2,
> this time sending a primitive device which seems to be a cross
> between a conventional record and a primitive CD (which is now _so_
> obsolete in less than 30 years that one wonders what ETs would make
> of it). It contained the hydrogen atom ruler again, but no porno this
> time. Instead the device contained images of the earth and its
> sounds, including those of humans and whales, various music
> selections (from Bach to Chuck Berry),  greetings in 55 languages
> (Yo, ET! Howzit goin' eh?), and printed messages from famous U.S.
> President Carter and infamous United Nations secretary-general Kurt
> Waldheim.
>
> see http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/voyager/voyager-record.html
>
> and you can see and listen to much of this stuff at:
>
> http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/goldenrec.html
>
> But so far, ET has not yet returned our phone call. Maybe he'll get
> back to us in a few billion years or so, if he can understand what we
> said.

Long-time viewers of the show Saturday Night Live may
remember a sketch that Steve Martin did sometime after
the launch of Voyager 1 & 2.  In it he mentioned what was
on the record/CD and he said that NASA had just received
a message from an extraterrestial civilization.  He held up a
mock copy of Time magazine which contained the message
on its front cover:

"Send More Chuck Berry!"

-Mike Palij
New York University