Freud, yes, was an M.D.
According to Hilgard's "Psychology in America" William James first
studied art, them Chemistry, then entered medical school at age 22 (in
1864 probably), took a field trip to Brazil with naturalist Louis
Agassiz, returned to Harvard and finally got the PhD in 1869. Then
depression, which was presumably lifted after reading Renouvier's
Deuxieme essai. This was "rational psychology" got James involved in the
free will concept - leading to his famous quip "My first act of free
will shall be to believe in free will." I remember another to the effect
that the first psych lecture he ever head was the one he himself gave at
Harvard, but cannot find a source for that one. It would have been
difficult for James to study Psychology formally since there were no
degrees until the 1870s. Hilgard does say that he attended physiology
lectures in Berlin prior during his stay (before his M.D. degree), and
it is possible he was exposed so pre-cursors of the Wundt tradition, but
that's still not a degree in psych (esp. to James who did not appear to
embrace that tradition).

John W. Kulig
Professor of Psychology
Plymouth State College
Plymouth NH 03264

"Push not the river; it will flow of its own accord" - Polish saying.