We are about 300 miles north of New Orleans, so we weren't even bothered by the storm.иа However, we do have about 5000 refugees in the Monroe Civic Center.иа One of the Psi Chi officers was out there and said that one problem was that the kids were going crazy (in a non-clinical sort of way).иа A couple of them went out to help with the kids.иа They also suggested that providing toys and activities for children was something that would be welcome that most people hadn't talked about yet.иа Psi Chi and other groups on campus are collecting food, money, clothes, and all the normal stuff, too.иа

Many of the townspeople have houses full of friends and relatives that came here to escape the storm, so we may well have more than 5000 distributed around town.иа Monroe and West Monroe have a (pre-storm) population of about 65,000.иа If anyone wants to make donations I could find out about particular local agencies and their addresses.иа I could also receive some stuff at school and get people to take it out to the Civic Center.иа

Annette Taylor, Ph. D. wrote:
As soon as you all are back on your feet, please let the rest of us know what we
can do to help you.

I have an old dos-language computer, a P3 processor, I believe, I was looking to
trash. It works perfectly well except it's slow and out of date on some
capabilities but certainly can run windows and microsoft office with no
problems. I wouldn't try to load SPSS on it.....I can also donate some books.
It's not much but I suspect some of you now have nothing. Maybe psychology
clubs across the country can put together fund-raisers to raise cash for
supplies for psych departments that have been affected.

Feel free to ask for any help you may need. I feel confident in speaking for the
rest of us who are safe in our homes, who have a thriving infrastructure, and
who are watching the devastation as if it were someplace on another continent,
that we will all help as much as we can.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Department of Psychology
University of San Diego