(Knowing nothing about this, I ask...)

It seems to me that the eyewitness testimony and jury decisions research part of this doesn't fit with the rest, and in particular, isn't a good fit with the earlier comment that (I understood to mean) forensic psychologists first get clinical training.

In addition, I'm also curious about who forensic psychologists work for. Is assessing mental competency a fulltime position? Or is the treatment part the major part of the job?

Paul Smith
Alverno College

David Wasieleski wrote:
Primarily assessment of mental status at the time of the offense (for insanity defense), and competency to stand trial. As such they may offer testimony to the court regarding these issues, make treatment recommendations, and/or engage in treatment interventions with those in the juvenile justice or criminal justice system. Naturally many engage in research in courtroom factors (eyewitness testimony, jury decisions, etc.). The field is broader than this, but the core is as I've described it.