In past years of teaching large undergraduate courses, I would occasionally include a multiple choice item asking students the name of their textbook author(s), which I had probably mentioned no fewer than 50 times during the semester. The percentage of students getting this item wrong usually hovered around 10-15%, if I recall correctly....Scott

Ken Steele wrote:

Carol:

I am not sure that I would worry too much about the issue of the difficulty of remembering student names. I was at lunch with an honor's student that I didn't know very well. To make small talk, I asked her the names of her instructors. She couldn't name a single instructor after having attended classes for two weeks. She even commented on how sad was this inability given that all her instructors knew her name.

I don't think she had a particular medical condition (other than adolescent myopia) because I routinely encounter students who can't name their instructors at the end of the semester.

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology http://www.psych.appstate.edu
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
USA

Scott O. Lilienfeld, Ph.D.
Associate Professor Department of Psychology, Room 206 Emory University 532 N. Kilgo Circle Atlanta, Georgia 30322

(404) 727-1125 (phone)
(404) 727-0372 (FAX)

Home Page: http://www.emory.edu/PSYCH/Faculty/lilienfeld.html

The Scientific Review of Mental Health Practice:

www.srmhp.org

The Master in the Art of Living makes little distinction between his work and
his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and
his recreation, his love and his intellectual passions.  He hardly knows which
is which.  He simply pursues his vision of excellence in whatever he does,
leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing.  To him – he is
always doing both.

- Zen Buddhist text (slightly modified)