Nancy asked
1) If a man has one testicle removed, does it lower his sperm count?

If it does, it's  not by much. With the loss of one testic you get
"compensatory testicular hypertrophy." Essentially, the loss of a one source of
testosterone causes an increase in the production of anterior pituitary
gonadotrophins through the traditional negative feedback loop.  The increased
release of LH gets T levels back to normal levels and the rise in FSH increases
spermatogenesis.

2) If some women have fertility problems because their immune systems  attack
either the sperm or the developing embryo, does a weakened immune system mean
an elevated chance of becoming pregnant?

I don't know the answer to this one but I would hypothesize that with a weakend
immune sytem there are too many other things that could interfere with
pregnancy. There might be a greater chance of insemination but a lower chance
of implantation and carrying to term.  That's my hypothesis. (Because I have a
Ph.D. I can call it a "hypothesis." Without the Ph.D. you'd have to call it a
guess...... or "B.S."  <g>)

Ed

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology,
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
Office hours: Mondays noon-2 & 3-4; Tuesdays & Thursdays 8-9:15 a.m. and
12:30-2 p.m.
Web site: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/epollak/home.htm
<http://mywebpages.comcast.net/epollak/home.htm>