Christopher Green wrote:

"There are always a few great teachers. Employing the methods they
employ
won't necessarily work with the vast masses of teachers hired in public
schools across the nation (and the world). What is needed are tried and
true methods that will work well with the whole spectrum of teachers
(and students)."

Nothing works for everyone (especially "vast masses" of humanity) thus
the concept of academic freedom. However, if there ever was academic
freedom at the elementary and secondary levels, it is certainly totally
obliterated now with prescribed curricula, federal mandates, state
benchmark testing, etc. I'm not sure yet, based on the Intelligent
Design metaphor invoked in the original post on this thread, who are the
fundamentalists and who are the progressives on the issue of
constructivist math.

Christopher also wrote:

"The constructivist method seems to be failing badly in the school
district featured in the article, even with students whose parrents are
mathematically sophisticated. That's got to be a bad sign
for virtually everywhere else."

Where was the evidence that it was "failing badly"? It didn't even seem
to be failing given the test scores, etc. After 12 paragraphs of
anecdotes about how bad it was, there were these two paragraphs of
actual data:

"Not surprising, school officials here paint a wildly different picture
of the new math curriculum than do the critical parents. They point to a

slip in Penfield's scores on standardized math tests and Regents exams
in the late 1990's as a catalyst for changing the program. They also
note that since the introduction of the constructivist curriculums -
Investigations for elementary school, Connected Math for junior high,
Core Plus for high school - those scores have risen gradually but
steadily.

In a broad sense, Penfield can be a hard place to make the indictment
against constructivism stick. The high school sends 90 percent of its
graduates to two-year or four-year colleges, and the mean SAT score
stands at 1117 (with 562 on math). In the battle of anecdotes, school
officials assembled their own array of parents to praise the new
curriculum when this columnist visited Penfield last week."

Notice how the author subtly criticizes the school district for engaging
in a battle of anecdotes when all the other side has is anecdotes and
how it is "not surprising" that the school district would have an
opposing view. I guess, "in a broad sense" is synonymous with "based on
empirical data instead of anecdotes". As to the war of anecdotes, at
least the school district had some empirical ammunition. And as to
"failing badly" I would love for my kids to be in a school that was
failing that badly.

As to the validity of the parents' reactions, there is something to be
said for the argument given by the school district that they live in a
community with a lot of math experts, made up of people who succeeded
under the old method, who are going to complain about any change to the
system under which they succeeded. This doesn't mean that a change in
methods might not be more effective for a larger number of students than
the old method. (This is similar to us, as professors, believing that
all students should learn like we did as undergraduates). The subgroup
that does really well under the old system becomes the teachers of the
new generation.

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman
Professor of Psychology