An afterthought to my dissection of Lukac's essay on Mileva Maric. I'd
like to bring out more strongly a point I made implicitly in relation to
Lukac's Conclusion 2:

"In 3 of the 4 famous 1905 Annalen der Physik papers Mileva's substantial
role is probable, but in the "Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" [Special
Relativity] paper any *substantial* role of Marity is improbable and
unfounded."

Immediately following this assertion, which is startling stronger than
anything he has suggested in his earlier analysis of the documentary
material, he writes

"But I would not *over*emphasize Marity's role either. Nothing which I
know does contradict a simple scheme in which the vast majority of ideas
originated from Einstein, while Marity was better in mathematics and
thermodynamics."

So on the one hand he tells us that he knows nothing that contradicts a
scenario in which the ideas overwhelmingly came from Einstein, while on
the other hand he presents as his central conclusion that it is probable
that in 3 of the 4 famous 1905 papers Mileva's role was "substantial".

Now if a hitherto unheard-of (prior to the late 1980s) claim is put
forward, the onus is on its proponents to provide the evidence for it
(especially if it radically contradicts previous belief). If Lukacs tells
us he has no evidence inconsistent with the view that the "vast majority"
of the ideas in the 1905 papers came from Einstein, then he is saying he
has no evidence for anything more than this. Anything else has to be
greater or lesser surmise (and in his case, based on incomplete knowledge,
as I have shown). So how in the name of logic can he justify having just
spelled out a *conclusion* that goes considerably beyond this?

This would be bad enough even if his analysis was without the significant
omissions I highlighted in my previous posting. For all its apparent
thoroughness and lack of partisanship, I conclude that Lukacs' essay falls
considerably short of his ambition.

I note that, as Stephen pointed out, Lukacs enumerated conclusions are
considerably more assertive than the restrained expression of his
contentions in the Abstract: "Note I cannot prove joint authorship of any
Einstein paper (though I seem to have good arguments for one)."  So
another anomaly in the essay is the discrepancy between his modest
contention in the Abstract and the relatively strong assertions in his
enumerated conclusions at the end.

There is also something else that is not quite right. Many of the
proponents for a role for Mileva do not claim "joint authorship", only
that she collaborated to a greater or lesser degree on the 1905 papers
(any one of them is apparently up for grabs, with different people opting
for one or another of the 1905 papers). Given that, one might have
expected that his remarkably short Abstract might have been extended to
cover a wider range of claims in the controversy. The Abstract, like his
more restrained statement immediately following the enumerated
conclusions, leaves open the possibility of Mileva's collaboration in one
or more of the 1905 papers (though interestingly he rules out completely
any collaboration on the Relativity paper, the very one for which most of
the claims have been made!). Needless to say at this point, for reasons
spelled out in detail in my last posting, I don't accept that any
compelling evidence has been adduced for the more limited "corroboration"
thesis.

Don Allen wrote [snip]:
> If there is no record of Mileva ever making a claim
> that it was really "her" work then this must surely be
> a first in the annals of human nature.

Thanks, Don, for injecting a welcome dose of common sense into the debate,
something notably lacking in the great bulk of the writings by proponents
of the "corroboration" thesis.

Allen Esterson.

Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:21:43 -0800
Author: Don Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>