"Fundamentalist" is a term that's often used in lieu of "biblical
literalist," but they are not the same.  The Good President Carter is
correct to call himself a fundamentalist if he's one who believes that
hierarchical and heavily-ritualized religions are not the way to go, and
that instead one should worship in a simpler, more "fundamental" manner,
a la Jesus (go into your room, close the door, and like that).

The biblical literalists are those who propose that, well, the bible is
literally true.  These are the main source of ID/creationist poo-poo in
the classroom, and the ones Mirecki is most upset at.

And then there are the dominionists; those are the ones most likely to
welcome the destruction of the world because it will hasten the return
of Christ and the establishment of a new creation.  These are also the
people who are shockingly sanguine about an apocalyptic war in the
middle east, for the same reasons, and these are also the people who
have Moyers most concerned just now.  To quote him about the
dominionists: "One of the biggest changes in politics in my lifetime is
that the delusional is no longer marginal. It has come in from the
fringe, to sit in the seat of power in the oval office and in Congress."
This is the former secretary of the interior under Reagan saying "when
the last tree is felled, Jesus will return."  This is tin-foil-hat
spooky stuff.

Moyers is clearer in other writings; I assume that the Moyers quote here
is him speaking loosely.  He does discriminate between literalists and
dominionists and fundamentalists.

That said, it's important to note that membership in one of these
classes of folks does *not* preclude membership in one or both other
classes, but there is a "stewardship" movement that comes and goes among
fundamentalist denominations that would make preservation and care of
the environment a good thing.

Mirecki criticized "fundies," and I'm also thinking he knows the
differences.  But in common parlance, "fundies" refers to people who are
literalists.

PS  I haven't finished catching up, but in one of the earlier posts, the
beaters-of-Mirecki were referred to as "students."  They almost surely
were not.  He described them as men "in their 30s or 40s."