On 27 December Paul Smith suggested the following for a student's
introduction to Darwinian evolutionary theory:
> You might consider sending them to the alt.talk.origins site and have them
> read and present on articles there:
>
> http://www.talkorigins.org/
>
> Or have them just analyze the FAQ there:
>
> http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/faqs-qa.html

The best page on that website, I suggest, would be:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-intro-to-biology.html

The introductory discussion includes not only "natural selection", also
sexual selection and genetic drift.

N.B. The first example given under "What is evolution?" is the famous
story of the peppered moth. I had the impression that doubt had been
thrown on the traditional account, but, other than in experimental
details, this is not so. See:

http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/evol/Moths/moths.html

http://www.geocities.com/lclane2/biston.html

An anecdotal illustration of the same kind of phenomenon has occurred in
my local Holland Park in London. Some years ago there were numerous
grey/white rabbits in the Park, with the occasional, but rare, black one
among them. In the last decade or so urban foxes have taken up residence
in the park, and the proportion of black rabbits has increased so that now
the rabbits are overwhelmingly black. My not-exactly-original theory is
that at the time when the foxes come out (i.e., when humans have left) is
when the park closes at dusk. White/grey rabbits are more easily seen in
the dusk by foxes, hence a process of natural selection has led to the
predominance of black rabbits. No new species, of course, but then
conditions for speciation don't pertain in Holland Park. -:)

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
[EMAIL PROTECTED]