>On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:33:28 -0800,  Scott Lilienfeld wrote:
>
>My understanding is that Rick is correct; this pill, if efficacious,
>would not literally eradicate the memory, just make it less distressing.
>See also the following piece in the NY Times magazine section from
>Spring, 2004:
>
>http://www.mindfully.org/Health/2004/Drugs-Prevent-Memories4apr04.htm

I'd like to thank both Scott and Rick for their responses but I
have to admit to still being somewhat confused about this issue.
Below is a quote from the article that Scott refers to:

|Scientists who work with patients who suffer from post-traumatic
|stress disorder see the matter quite differently. As a result, they
|are defending and developing a new science that can be called
|therapeutic forgetting. True post-traumatic stress can be intractable
|and does not tend to respond to most therapies. So these scientists
|are bucking the current trend in memory research, which is to find
|a drug or a gene that will help people remember. They are, instead,
|trying to help people forget.

"Therapeutic forgetting" sounds somewhat different from what I
would call "emotional dampening" (i.e., reducing an anxiety response
associated with a traumatic memory) -- it sounds like eradicating
memories to me.  A subsequent quote also seems to support this

|When stress hormones like adrenaline and norepinephrine are
|elevated, new memories are consolidated more firmly, which is
|what makes the recollection of emotionally charged events so
|vivid, so tenacious, so strong. If these memories are especially
|bad, they take hold most relentlessly, and a result can be the
|debilitating flashbacks of post-traumatic stress disorder. Interfering
|with stress hormone levels by giving propranolol soon after the
|trauma, according to Pitman's hypothesis, could keep the
|destructive memories from taking hold. He doesn't expect
|propranolol to affect nonemotional memories, which don't
|depend on stress hormones for their consolidation, but he
|said it could possibly interfere with the consolidation of highly
|emotional positive memories as well as negative ones.

It would seem that one shouldn't try falling in love while
on propranolol because one wouldn't remember it.
All in all, I am somewhat skeptical about the simplicity
of propranolol's effects.

-Mike Palij
New York University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>I think, despite some confusing surrounding the issue, that that is what
>the treatment they are investigating does. As I understand it, (and some
>of the discussions of it are as clear as mud on this point), it doesn't
>necessarily remove the memory, it just removes the maladaptive emotional
[snip]