They were very dissimilar at the start, but once APA accreditation became more and more necessary for licensure, the similarities were reduced. Still, there is a WIDE variety of experience and quality among PsyD programs, even moreso than PhD IMHO.
David

At 04:02 PM 1/19/2006, you wrote:
Ah.  Thanks.  I always wondered about that.  I've long considered the PhD to be at root an academic degree, and assumed the PsyD was more the pracitioner track.  So I couldn't really understand why the programs were so similar in structure.

From: David Wasieleski [ mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 2:20 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences
Subject: RE: astonishing Psy.D. dissertation

For a PsyD program to receive APA accreditation, they may need a research requirement of some kind (since APA still follows the scientist-practitioner model). In many states, to be licensed, you need to come from an APA accredited program.
David

At 03:10 PM 1/19/2006, you wrote:

> [...]

[snip]

> Perhaps we're debating ideals vs. realitites, but it seems
> pretty clear to me that anyone who gets a PsyD does so
> precisely because they want to a clinician, rather than a
> scholar, first and foremost. (Not that one couldn't be both,
> but many have no interest in being both, even within clinical
> PHD programs.)

This, in my previous experience, is true of nearly all PsyD students.

Which makes me wonder: why do PsyD programs have dissertations at all?

David T. Wasieleski, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Psychology and Counseling
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698
229-333-5620
http://chiron.valdosta.edu/dtwasieleski

"The only thing that ever made sense in my life
is the sound of my little girl laughing through the window on a summer night...
Just the sound of my little girl laughing
makes me happy just to be alive..."
            --Everclear
   "Song from an American Movie" ---