I second Ed Pollak's recommendation of the Kalat text for a sophomore level Biopsych class. Although I also liked Pinel's text when I used it in the past, I think the modular structure of Kalat's text has gone to is much more appealing to students than the longer chapter format of Pinel. My syllabus is available at:
http://www.uni.edu/walsh/phys98.html
Linda Walsh
Psychology
University of Northern Iowa
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Pollak, Edward wrote:
 Carol Furchner asked "Next year (2006-2007) I plan to teach either Cognitive
Psychology or Biological Psychology (or one of each).  I am looking for textbook
recommendations for sophomore-level courses at a two-year branch college.  The prereq for
cognitive is intro to psych, and the prereq for biological is either intro to psych or
intro to biology.  Most students will not have taken statistics or research methods.  I
expect my approach will lean more towards concepts and applications than theories."
We've been teaching a 2oo level biopsych course for years. The clear favorite with both students & faculty is Jim Kalat's book. I would only warn you not to attempt more than 11-12 chapters in a semester if you want to keep it at the 200 level. You can see my syllabus at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/epollak/courseinfo.htm Ed

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D. Department of Psychology, West Chester University of Pennsylvania Web site: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/epollak/home.htm <http://mywebpages.comcast.net/epollak/home.htm> Husband, father, grandfather, biopsychologist, bluegrass fiddler, and herpetoculturist................. in approximate order of importance.