ITSACORR is a popular programme for statistical analysis of an interrupted
time-series (e.g.
to see if there's a change in trend in a series of numbers, such as the daily
subject). As I mentioned in a previous post, given the unavailability of its
originator, John
Crosbie (Crosbie, 1993), I seem to have accidentally become the (possibly) sole
custodian
and supplier of the programme.

However, as I also pointed out, Huitema (2004) has strongly criticized the
method and
recommends that it not be used. I wrote to Huitema recently and asked him
whether he had
an alternative to ITSACORR to offer.

He sent me a nice reply, along with a manuscript which again evaluates
ITSACORR, and
again concludes that it has "fatal flaws". He does have an alternative
programme to offer. It's
available at http://www.stat.wmich.edu/slab/Software/Timeseries.html

Unfortunately, it's not as user-friendly as the now-discredited ITSACORR,
lacking a cookbook
example to explain its use and how to do data entry in matrix format. He
promises an article
"later this year" which should provide help for the statistically-challenged
(i.e. me).

He offers these references (quoting from his letter):

----------
McKnight, S., McKean, J. W., & Huitema, B. E. (2000).  A double bootstrap method
to analyze linear models with autoregressive error terms.  Psychological
Methods, 5,
87-101.

Examples of the required design matrices can be found in the appendix of:

Huitema, B. E. & McKean, J. W.  (2000).  A simple and powerful test for
autocorrelated
errors in OLS intervention models.  Psychological Reports, 87, 3-20.

Details on why the matrix form has been specified as it has can be found in:

Huitema, B. E., & McKean, J. W.   (2000).  Design specification issues in
time-series
intervention models.  Educational and Psychological Measurement, 60, 38-58.
--------

My references:

Crosbie, J. (1993). Interrupted time-series analysis with brief single-subject
data. Journal of
Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 61, 966-974.

Huitema, B. (2004). Analysis of interrupted time-series experiments using ITSE:
A critique.
Understanding statistics, 3, 27-46.[available on-line at
http://www.leaonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1207/s15328031us0301_2

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Department of Psychology
Bishop's  University
Lennoxville, QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada
Dept web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
TIPS discussion list for psychology teachers at
 http://faculty.frostburg.edu/psyc/southerly/tips/index.htm