On 30 Mar 2006 at 9:38, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Why would you se a measure of word/student ratio?
>They only have 420 words about Bishops
> but over 3000 words for the other 2. To really have an
> impace, add another  3000 words to a  discussion of Bishops!

My restraint has been sorely tested by these invitations to boost Bishop's, and
I can hold out
no longer. U.S. News & World Report, surely an unbiased source, published an
article
headed "The bargains north of the border" on August 31, 1998 (and so just a tad
out-of-
date).

The article carries the sub-head "Many Canadian colleges are terrific--and
cheap", and is
illustrated with a photograph of a smiling Erin Leath in front of Bishop's
McGreer Hall
(erected 1846). The caption reads, "I probably save $20,000 a year" says Erin
Leath an
{American] student at Bishop's University.

Some choice quotes from the report:

"Leath thought Bishop's offered a liberal-arts education and lifestyle
comparable to those of
Smith College or Trinity College, two New England schools that had accepted
her--and she
felt at home on Bishop's small-town campus."

"Besides offering value, many school appeal to families by accenting Canada's
low crime
rate. "You don't have to lock the door at night", says Bishop's McBride. The
opportunity for a
cross-cultural experience, close to home [e.g. French culture in La Belle
Province--SB], is
also a powerful draw. "Canada is more than just the Northern United States,
says Jo-Anne
Bechthold, registrar at Queen's University [Ontario]." Amen.

For more information, check out the 2001 art film "Lost and Delirious", shot on
the beautiful
Bishop's campus
http://www.celebritywonder.com/movie/2001_Lost_and_Delirious.html
[from the website: "The movie was shot at Bishop's University in Lennoxville,
in the same
campus and dorms where I myself experienced one of my most affecting, naive and
beautiful infatuations a few years ago. *sigh* "].  The Chicago film critic
Roger Eberts (the
"thumbs up" guy) praised the film,  and noted that the private school depicted
"is a vast,
beautiful brick pile (actually Bishop's University in Lennoxville, Quebec)." See
http://tinyurl.com/lhbnc

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the movie sucked. What do I know.

See also the Canada Post announcement of our very own postal stamp honouring
Bishop's.
http://www.canadapost.ca/business/corporate/about/newsroom/pr/archive-e.asp?prid=759

Hey Jean-Marc, Chris, Shannon, Stuart, help me out here. And I had nothing to
do with the
Bishop's entry in Wikipedia. Swear.

Stephen
Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
Bishop's  University
Lennoxville, QC  J1M 1Z7

Dept web page: www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
TIPS discussion list for psychology teachers at:
 faculty.frostburg.edu/psyc/southerly/tips/index.htm