Michael Sylvester was challenged about his remark of "talk" of an association
between the
corpus callosum and sexual orientation. He was asked for a reference. He
replied:

> It either came from LeVay or check out a Brain/Mind video

I thought this was interesting, so I looked into it. There is no published
work, as far as I can
find, on the corpus callosum and sexual orientation. However, Allen and Gorski
(1992) did
report that the anterior commissure was larger in homosexual than in
heterosexual men.
The anterior commissure is a bundle of nerve fibers which, like the corpus
callosum,
connects the two hemispheres of the brain. However, it's smaller than the
corpus callosum
and deeper within the brain. Its function is largely unknown. So the claim is
close, but no
cigar.

Curiously, though, if the claim is googled rather than pubmedded, references to
such a
finding by (yes) the neurophysiologist Simon LeVay and the neuropsychologist
Sandra
Witelson turn up. For example,  LeVay is described in an article by Chandler
Burr in the
_The Atlantic Monthly_ in March, 1993 as carrying out an MRI study of the
corpus callosum
and sexual orientation. Some reports are even more specific. An article at the
gayline
website (http://www.gayline.gen.nz/natural.htm) says that LeVay discovered that
the corpus
callosum "was bigger in gays than straight men".

Since I could find no such study, I went right to the top, and wrote to Dr.
LeVay. Through the
magic of the Internet, he replied almost immediately. He said he never made any
such
discovery and never published on the topic. He did say that at one time he
worked on an
MRI study, as reported by Burr, but they didn't obtain any clear results and
didn't publish it.

So where did the misinformation come from? Another site repeats the exact
passage I
found at the gayline website, but this time credits it to the book "Mapping the
Brain" by Rita
Carter, from where gayline probably copied it without attribution. We have the
book in our
library, but it's out at the moment, so I can't check to see how she came to
provide this
misinformation.

What about the claim about  Sandra Witelson's finding (at McMaster, from whence
I come)?
For example, Maclean's Magazine (the Canadian _Time_ wannabe) for January 22,
1996
(available on-line at the Canadian encyclopedia) says "Witelson and her
research partners
illustrated another dimension of brain differences in November, 1994. In a
study involving
21 people, they showed that part of the corpus callosum in the brains of some
homosexual
men was 13 percent larger than in the heterosexual men".

Seems too specific to be made up. But where's the pub? Dr. Witelson hasn't yet
replied to
my query. But I've discovered in the meantime that this refers to a
presentation she made
with Scamvougeras as first author at the Miami meeting of the Society for
Neuroscience in
1994. I can't get the abstract, but it was cited as recently as 1993 by Rahman
and Wilson
who say the study was MRI and confirm the Maclean's account. Given the
potential interest
in such a finding, I find it peculiar that they never published it.

Stephen