There are a number of questions being asked here.  First, do people who
maintain a literacy on TOP do a better job teaching psychology?  Of
course, student evaluations are useful to a certain extent but there need
to be other measurements, but what?  And, if it is determined that reading
the literature enhances one's teaching (geez, we all certainly hope
so!)the next question is whether faculty are willing to give the time and
effort to read articles about effective teaching strategies, how aware
they are of terrific sources for such research and, finally, their
willingness to integrate and modify their teaching practices accordingly.
My tentative hypothesis would be that folks who don't do research would be
somewhat less likely to appreciate the benefits of reading the literature,
with a sub-set also not being as literate a reader of journal research
articles when compared to faculty who do conduct research.  On the other
hand, I also suspect that there are signficant numbers of instructors who
conduct research who are aware of but 1) are too busy to regularly read
the literature on TOP; or, 2)read it BUT don't use the information to
modify their teaching methodologies.  It's a fascinating question and
really should be investigated.

In fact, this discussion has motivated me to do a informal internal survey
of our own faculty.  What's occurred to me while writing this post is that
I have never sensed that the reading and integration of the research on
TOP into one's classes is given major encouragement or priority in our
psychology department.  There have been terrific college-wide efforts
through faculty professional growth seminars to enhance awareness and
ability to integrate critical thinking assignments, to develop and use
informal classroom assessments, to develop more effective writing
assignments "across the curriculum," , etc.  But I haven't sensed a strong
encouragement within our department to maintain a strong literacy on the
research on TOP, per se, as well as integrating this research into our
classrooms. Do other psychology departments make that a priority?  My
guess is that we are more the norm than the exception.  That is, it is
implicitly assumed that such is being done but not explicitly determined
or externally validated and appreciated in any visible manner.

Joan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]