---- Original Message ----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: tips@acsun.frostburg.edu
Subject: RE: [tips] "Cure rate" for mental disorders
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:45:06 -0300

>Hi Everyone,
>I have two online abnormal psychology courses this semester, and this
>morning one of my students sent this query.  I found it very
>intriguing and would be interested to hear your responses.  I gave
>the usual response, but would welcome feedback from those more
>learned than I.
>
>Beth Benoit
>Granite State College
>Portsmouth NH
>
>>I was sitting here thinking (I do that quite a lot) about all these
>different disorders and
>>treatments and different causes of the disorders and I am wondering,
>is anyone
>>ever  "cured" of these disorders? How many of them are situational?
>Also have a lot of
>>people with mental disorders suffered from a head injury before the
>onset of symptoms?
>>Like I said just some burning questions I've had!!!  Thanks!
>
>---
It is my understanding that it is incorrect to use the term mental
disorders.Preferred terms are problems in living,behavioral disorders
and maladjustments. As to treatment effectiveness and cures,Hans
Eysenck way way back had data to show that those psychotherapies
were ineffective because psychologists tried to follow the mediucal
model-the idea that symptoms are the results of underlying causes.
Apparently they were able to modify the behavioral symptoms through
conditioniong and thought that a cure of the causes were irrelevant.
As a matter they thought that the symptoms were the causes.

Michael Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida