Well, I'll go for some very limited input:

 They divided their subjects
into thirds based on pre-experimental BMI. They found that that for the
heaviest third, lo and behold, there was a significant post-treatment
drop in BMI compared with the control group.

Ah! a regression to the mean? And I wonder if they tried halves, quartiles, etc. before hitting on the analysis they wanted?

So I asked them politely for the raw data to do my own analysis. They
refused. Given that the APA explicitly tells its authors to fill such
requests promptly and cooperatively (or something like that), that
doesn't seem too welcoming of them. does it?

Yes, but they didn't publish in an APA journal; I suppose other "sciences" have different criteria.

Ebberling, C. et al (2006). Effects of decreasing sugar-sweetined
beverage consumption on body weight in adolescents: a randomized,
controlled pilot study. Pediatrics 117, 673--

Well, that's about it for my insightful comments, but I will discuss this with a colleague later this week.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor of Psychology
University of San Diego