From: Christopher D. Green [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 9:06 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] Re: AW: Likert scale and ANOVA

Well, this is the answer that one defender of scales fo measurement gave. I don't think that makes it in any way definitive. Lord would respond, I think, that the coherence of the answer depends on the distinction made between "numbers" and "football numbers" and that this simply prejudges the case and makes the argument entirely circular.

Regards,
--
Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology

416-736-5115 ex. 66164
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.yorku.ca/christo
=============================

From: "Stuart McKelvie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:15:56 -0400
I would love to know what Rainer's exam question was!

Stuart (and any others who might be interested):
The exam question was obviously in German; here is a rough translation, so
please ignore awkward wording

1.      „On the statistical treatment of football numbers”
In a classic article about the question of permissible statistical
computations on different levels of measurement Lord (1953) presents the
argument that for statistical analysis the level of measurement is
irrelevant: "The numbers don't know where they come from".
In his argument he uses the example of so-called football-numbers, the
numbers on jerseys of a football team. (For people unfamiliar with football:
The jersey-numbers help to distinguish different players from a distance;
they are not associated with player position, time in the team or playing
ability etc.)
In the example in the article a junior footballteam complains that they
received jerseys with smaller numbers than the senior team.
To test this complaint a football-statistician computes mean and variance of
the jersey numbers of both teams and concludes (on the basis of the t-Test,
which you will learn next semester), that indeed the junior team received
smaller numbers.
Admonished by a professor of Psychology, that these were only
football-numbers and he wasn't allowed to compute means, the statistician
shrugs and says: "The numbers don't know where they come from"; the only
important things would be fulfillment of distributional assumptions and
independence in order to compute the t-Test.
The professor who had averaged his ratings and questionnaire items in the
seclusion of his office only is convinced and walks away and does it now
openly. (As written in Lord, F. (1953). On the statistical treatment of
football numbers. AmPsych, 8, 750-751.)
1.1. (1) On what kind of scale are football-numbers?
1.2. (2) Is the statistician allowed to compute means/standard deviations in
the situation described?
1.3. (3) Do you find the argument convincing/conclusive? Please discuss.

Intended answers were:
1.1. Nominal
1.2. yes, he can do that, because the complaint is about the numbers
themselves, not the attribute they represent (identity of player).
1.3. The argumentation is quite misleading; digits found on football jerseys
are treated as numbers, not as "football numbers".
(Numbers are on an absolute scale; "football numbers" are measurements of
identity-or-difference).
Since the absolute value of a number found on football jerseys is irrelevant
for the purpose it serves (=nominal scale), manipulations of these values in
order to compare their size are also meaningless. So if you take the
"football number" property seriously, the complaint of the junior team is
nonsense to begin with, not to talk about all what follows.
If you take the numbers as numbers, they are no "football numbers" any more,
so it is no example of "statistical treatment of football numbers".

As I said, this was a difficult one for my students (Intro to Statistics).

Dr. Rainer Scheuchenpflug
Lehrstuhl für Psychologie III
Röntgenring 11
97070 Würzburg