"One reason I give them is students need to be able to show their
knowledge and ability on multiple choice tests to get into graduate or
professional programs and to get licenses for most professions.  Our
students have to write papers and essays in all our courses but get
almost no practice at difficult multiple choice tests."

That's very different from 2 year schools, where I have students who have taken many courses and have yet to write an essay for homework or as part of the test. All assessment is done by multiple choice test. Many of them have yet to write an essay EVER over the course of their careers.

I think that most courses should offer a combination of these two activities/assessment strategies.

Nancy Melucci
Long Beach City College
Long Beach CA