[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I note that contrary to what is stated, Pavlov neither used a bell in his famous experiment nor won the Nobel Prize for it.
Actually, it turns out that Pavlov did use a bell sometimes. There was an article about it some years ago:

Thomas, R. K. (1997). Correcting some Pavloviana regarding "Pavlov's bell" and Pavlov's "mugging." American Journal of Psychology, 110, 115-125.

Indeed, I own a video made in Pavlov's lab (in the 1930s, I believe) in which a bell is actually used at one point. You can purchase it through the Archives for the History of American Psychology at the University of Akron (Ohio)

Pavlov won the 1904 Nobel Prize for medicine, though for the earlier work on digestion which later led to the serendipitous discovery of conditioning. The confusion comes because just the year before, "in 1903, at the 14th International Medical Congress in Madrid, Pavlov read a paper on «The Experimental Psychology and Psychopathology of Animals». In this paper the definition of conditioned and other reflexes was given and it was shown that a conditioned reflex should be regarded as an elementary psychological phenomenon, which at the same time is a physiological one"  (http://nobelprize.org/medicine/laureates/1904/pavlov-bio.html).

Regards,
--
Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology