Robert Flint wrote:

> We require students to conduct small (Research Methods, about 50 participants
> minimum)
> and larger (Senior Seminar Capstone, about 100 participants minimum) research
> projects
> for the major. In recent conversations with some of our better students, it
> was "revealed"
> that making up data is a more common occurance than we had expected. Have
> others found
> this to be a frequent event? What have you found to be effective means that
> discourage/deter students from this activity?

Dear Robert,

We had a bad case of this many years ago. Here is what we now do for our
honours dissertation project:

1. When submitting the final report, also hand in all data sheets completed by
individual participants. This includes the consent forms.

2. Hand in copies of articles not available in our library.

3. And of course all students have been familiar  in a number of courses with
our famous long handout on academic honesty.

Sincerely,

Stuart

Stuart J. McKelvie, Ph.D.,
Department of Psychology,
Bishop's University,
Route 108 East,
Borough of Lennoxville, Sherbrooke,
Québec J1M 1Z7,
Canada.

E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: (819)822-9600, Extension 2402
Fax: (819)822-9660

Bishop's Psychology Department Web Page:
http/:www.ubishops.ca/ccc/dev/soc/psy