I've had another go at tracing the iceberg analogy in Freud's writings,
but with no success. Numerous websites quote Freud in the same words:
"The mind is like an iceberg, it floats with one-seventh of its bulk above
water." But not one of them gives a reference, though a couple give
(different) dates, neither of which enabled me to trace it. Is this
another of those quotes that Stephen Black can chalk up as apocryphal?

But as I already noted, we do have a definite reference for Fechner's use
of the analogy, with nine-tenths of the iceberg under the water rather
than six-sevenths. Ernest Jones gives it as: G. T. Fechner (1860),
Elemente der Psychophysik, Bd. II. p. 521.

D. P. Schultz and S. E. Schultz (*A History of Modern Psychology*) also
cite the same book of Fechner's for the analogy:
http://www-psych.nmsu.edu/~jem/courses/history/s&s13.html

Antecedent Influences on Psychoanalysis
Gustav Fechner
iceberg analogy
much of mind is unconscious
mind is influenced by unobservable forces
1860: Elements of Psychophysics

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London