From: Laura Valvatne [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:
Monday, June 05, 2006 10:09 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] Re: Brain and Behavior

Your can have students build brains out of Play-Dough.  I have groups of four do this project, a colleague has each individual build a Play-Dough brain.  The class session before the Play-Dough project I ask students to bring in notes in which they have identified a minimum of 5 brain parts, described the function of each part, and tell me why they included each part  (Why was that part interesting or important to you?)  I initial their notes when they arrived for the PD class session.  Then in their groups each student reads the parts he/she chose and the whole group discusses what life might be like without that part of the brain.  I encourage that they use at least 5 colors and that  they include a minimum of 5 brain parts in their PD brain.  They use a toothpick as a “flag pole” and attach a “Post-It to the tooth pick.  On one side of the Post-It they write the name of each part; on the other side the describe what it is.  This is supposed to be decided by the whole group and put into their own words.  In an 1hour and 15 minute class section there is time to have each group show their brain and to explain what each part does.  This project is a lot of fun and I know the students, at least, get the idea that the brain is a complex organ composed of many interacting parts.