Title: --
David Kreiner wrote:

...Anyway, she is finding that there is a tendency for students to perceive particular procedures as more coercive to other students than to themselves. I want her to look in the social psych. literature for possible explanations for this pattern, but I'm having trouble giving her good guidance about what concepts to look for in the literature...
    If resistance to coercion is considered desirable, then the belief that one is better able to resist coercive pressures than other students do can be considered a self-serving cognition.  I would search using phrases like "self serving bias" and "self enhancement."  One possible source is:

Helweg-Larsen, M., & Shepperd, J. A. (2001). Do moderators of the optimistic bias affect personal or target risk estimates? A review of the literature. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 5, 74-95.

--Dave