The problem with psychology being such a large field and with me, getting older, is that it is really hard to keep up with every nit picky detail of what is "right". So I learned this week that brains develop well into the late teens, and are not mostly finished by puberty, and at least for women, the modal age of onset can be quite a bit later than for men.

Thanks to all.

OTOH I think it's still quite easy, given all the nuances for people to use the information that fits their hypothesis and discard or disregard the rest.....

Annette

Quoting Aubyn Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Annette wrote...
Many of the links had really questionnable information, such as
suggesting that smoking pot at age 18 predicts a diagnosis of
schizophrenia in one's 30's! I am not an expert but have read in many
diverse sources that schizophrenia is generally diagnosed quite a bit
earlier than that--generally in the early 20's at the latest. So this
was a bit puzzling.

Aubyn writes...
I think the emphasis used to be that schizophrenia usually onset in the late teens to early 20s. That seems to be more true for men though. Currently, DSM-IV-TR reports that "The modal age of onset for men is between 18 and 25 years, and that for women is between 25 and the mid-30s" (p. 307).

I am not an expert on the data supporting the reefer madness hypothesis, I wonder if the pathway from marijuana to schizophrenia is related to the pathway from marijuana to jazz music?

Aubyn Fulton, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Chair, Department of Psychology & Social Work
Pacific Union College
Angwin, CA 94508

Office: 707-965-6536
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]