Try various lollipops. I know that there are some that will turn your tongue different colors (I remember that there was one used by Jacksonville Jaguar fans to turn their tongue teal like the logo).

At 10:53 AM 10/10/2006 -0600, you wrote:
Taking a small side track -
You mention tongue maps - does anyone have experience with trying to
identify/count the fungiform papillae?  I have read that using Methylene
blue dye will turn them pinkish.  This dye sounds like it might have
some danger associated with it and may not be appropriate for use in a
classroom demonstration - anyone know about this stuff?  Another source
suggested blue food coloring.  This seemed to work (sort of) when I
tried it on myself but needed to be diluted a fair bit.

Bill Goss
College of the Rockies
Box 8500
Cranbrook, BC, V1C 5L7
(250) 489-2751  Ext 324

-----Original Message-----
From: Annette Taylor, Ph. D. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: October 10, 2006 9:11 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] Re: vision Q (pinhole camera issue)

Might we now be looking at another aspect of teaching/learning in
psychology that appears in textbooks but is confusing, muddled, not
keeping up with the times as new and better information accumulates,
and generally is only partly correct. Examples: tongue maps,
misattributed quotations, and now information the proximal image on
the retina?

Is it worth pursuing for a definitive answer and making it more
publicly known?

Annette

Quoting Ken Steele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Allen Esterson wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 Ken Steel[e] wrote:
>>> In light of the discussion about the relative contribution of the
>>> lens and the size of the opening to the inversion of the retinal
>>> image, it is
>>> interesting to note that both Goldstein (2007; Fig 2.8) and Wolfe et

>>> al. (2006; Fig. 2.2) show the image being inverted inside the lens
>>> (pinhole
>>> fashion) rather than at the focal point behind the lens.
>>>

>> I have to say that I haven't the faintest idea what this means! Can
>> Ken (or anyone with access to these diagrams) explain this more
>> clearly. The image is formed on the retina, so how can an image "be
>> inverted inside the lens"? The image doesn't exist until it is formed

>> on the retina.
>>

> To recapitulate the thread in brief form,  Annette Taylor asked why
> the image on the retina is inverted.
>
> Mike Scoles and I replied that one reason for the inversion is the
> small opening of the pupil.  We pointed to a lenless device, the
> camera obscura or pinhole camera.
>
> Marc Carter and Allen Esterson disagreed and said that the retinal
> inversion was due to the refractive properties of the cornea and lens.
>
> One way to separate the relative contribution of these two methods of
> producing inversion is to ask where the light rays cross paths in the
> inversion process.  The light rays cross paths at the opening in a
> pinhole camera but behind the lens in a refractive system.
>
> So I went looking for diagrams that might show the location where the
> rays cross. The perception textbooks by Goldstein and Wolfe et al.
> show the light rays crossing at the pupil-- more like a pinhole
> camera.  We all know that textbook diagrams are often not correct but
> I thought it was worthy of note.
>
> Ken
>
> PS - The easiest test of this issue would be to build a camera obscura

> the size of an eyeball and see if the image is inverted.

> Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Department of Psychology          http://www.psych.appstate.edu
> Appalachian State University
> Boone, NC 28608
> USA
> g=english

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor of Psychology
University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA 92110

english

Deb

Dr. Deborah S. Briihl
Dept. of Psychology and Counseling
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698
(229) 333-5994
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://chiron.valdosta.edu/dbriihl/

Well I know these voices must be my soul...
Rhyme and Reason - DMB