On 9 Nov 2006 at 10:44, Beth Benoit wrote:

> Since I am a twin (fraternal, and not looking very much like my twin), I've
> always been very
> interested in twin studies. I think Annette's student is echoing our
> culture's assumptions that  twins are treated differently, and that identical
> twins are treated even
> more differently than unalike fraternals or non-twin siblings.

I'm a little puzzled by this. I don't know whether this is an assumption of our
culture or not.
But as far as science is concerned,  I believe the standard assumption of
research
comparing MZ and DZ twins is that MZ and DZ twins are treated similarly. This
is the "equal
environments assumption", sometimes challenged but more often accepted in the
field.

Stephen

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
Bishop's  University
Lennoxville, QC  J1M 1Z7

Dept web page: www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
TIPS discussion list for psychology teachers at:
 faculty.frostburg.edu/psyc/southerly/tips/index.htm