Title: --
I have been thinking over the report on e-learning at http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/11/10/online    The article summarizes a Sloan Survey of online instruction. Among the findings: Use of online instruction continues to increase rapidly, outcomes are as good as with face-to-face instruction, and faculty are highly resistant to this teaching format (most preferring the "sage on the stage" to the "guide on the side" according to one follow-up comment). I've noticed suspicion if not resistance to web-based instruction at my institution and a friend reported a similar experience on a different college campus. Maybe that's to be expected--most of us were educated with the lecture format and we wish to deliver education using the same familiar (and admittedly egoistic) method. But I'm becoming increasing convinced that e-learning (defined as delivering 80% or more of course content via the internet) has a useful place in our instructional repertoire. I'm not a booster of online college degrees but I can quickly muster an argument for offering sections of some courses online as part of the array of scheduled classes on traditional college campuses. Others on TIPS might want to review this article (with following comments) and supply a reaction here.

On a related note, I've been preparing recorded lectures and test reviews for my students. I've been experimenting with screen-capturing software, audio lectures in MP3 format for students to download to portable players, and webcam files for a "personal" introduction to the course and specific assignments. In preparing these lectures, it helps me to view what others have done. In critiquing their efforts, I get ideas for what to try and what to avoid. I am aware of the public access to lectures at UC Berkeley    http://webcast.berkeley.edu/courses/index.php  and at MIT     http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Global/all-courses.htm     and I know about the history of psychology lectures provided by Chris Greene   http://www.yorku.ca/christo/podcasts/       Other than MIT and Berkeley, I haven't found colleges providing full sets of course lectures, video or audio, open to the general public. They'll make public their special featured lectures, like "Noam Chomsky comes to campus," but they aren't releasing full sets of lectures from their regular classes. So my question: Do any of you TIPS readers know of other colleges, or even individual faculty, with class lectures open to the internet community?

--Dave