OK, I'm having a slow day here :)

Well, Galton predates modern psychology, but I suspect you can make a case
that he was heavily responsible for the genetic view of "IQ" variability.
And Eysenck pushed for a biological view of personality, and Lorenz and
Tinbergen paved the way for biologically based social psychology. On the
other hand (to take just the IQ example) many people on this side of the
pond (Terman, Goddard, ...) took a genetic stance as well. The particular
decade may matter more. Certainly under the influence of behaviorism there
was a bias against genetics, that lastest for several decades. I still
remember influential learning experts making (post hoc) explanations for
correlations between MZ twins in the late 1970s.

I don't know about Snow. But the "superiority" thing is an old issue. There
are racial differences, they have not changed much, the last I knew. The
good questions revolve around description versus explanation (where do the
differences come from), and also questions about the importance of the
differences. The genetic basis of "IQ" within a group is very well
established. The genetic basis of differences between groups is more
difficult to address since - who wants to do the research? It is interesting
to cite Arthur Jensen's original 1973 Harvard Ed Review article "How much
can we boost ...?"; since IQ had a heritable component within groups, and,
attempts to train away group differences failed, it is "not an unreasonable
hypothesis" that some portion of group (racial) differences are genetic. The
furor that followed ignored the fact that this was his "hypothesis." Jumping
ahead, it matters whether we use the language "different" versus "superior".
I have little doubt that general cognitive ability served the fitness of our
ancestors well, though, so did aggression, jealousy, not to mention
obsessive-compulsive behavior (It's not just a disorder!). Many traits
contribute to fitness and reproductive success, but I would hesitate to
label the "Adrian Monk" type obsessive behavior of my ancestors as creating
a "superior" being (if it were shown that an entire group were higher in
OCD). The groups we use in everyday language are also imprecise. It is an
over simplification to say there is a "Jewish" group, just as it
oversimplified to refer to "black" and "asian" groups.

As far as the magnitude of the group differences, they simetimes seem minor,
but, as an interesting "intellectual exercise" in the importance of group
differences, start with a 1 SD difference between groups (or even 1/2 SD),
and look at the amount of overlap between the curves. THEN (fair and
balanced ..) compute the RATIO of people in one group relative to another in
the tails (start with 2 SD above average, then do 3 and 4 SD). Then do the
lower tail the same way. You can do this with a chart of normal
probabalities. The group differences get frightingly large the farther out
you do on either tail. You can do the same thing, btw, with slight MF
differences in verbal and spatial ability.

John W. Kulig
Professor of Psychology
Director, Psychology Honors
Plymouth State University