Actually your timing is great. I have a student whose final I just graded (literally a minute ago) who turned in two assignments and barely eked out a B in a senior-level class despite an A average on tests. I tell them assignment 1 was due on so-and-so date, etc. The added benefit of this system is that at the beginning of the term, I tell them if they turn in an assignment late, the penalty is harsh, so just do the next one (I rarely get late assignments anymore). Moreover, I strongly suggest they all do at least 1 of the first 2 (i.e., don't just wait until the last 4), so that if they, their mother, or their roommate's dog gets ill later, they still have an assignment they can blow off. Overall, I have far fewer problems than I used to with assignments, etc.
David