Dear Tipsters,

thanks to all who responded to my question about how to spend funds for
improvement of teaching.

As promised, here is a compilation of the answers:

Miguel Roig ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) suggested to have a look at "the
student response system (SRS), which allows instructors to record students'
data visually." and kindly provided two relevant websites:
http://clte.asu.edu/wakonse/ENewsletter/studentresponse_idea.htm
http://cit.duke.edu/ideas/tools/response.do

Blaine Peden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> reported positive experiences with a SRS
in methods classes and added a website about a classroom clicker project at
U Wisconsin http://clickers.uwm.edu

Sue Frantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> is also currently using a SRS (iClicker)
saying: "I'm in love with it!  As are my students." , a claim which she
immediately backed up by data collected with the technology. In addition she
made available a presentation of different examples of how to use the system
in class: http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/ClickerIdeas.ppt

Thanks to all for your valuable input!

Meanwhile discussion has progressed at our institute; unfortunately the idea
to implement such a system was turned down by my colleagues almost
reflectively. Reason seemed to be the immediate association with a popular
quiz show on TV ("Who will become a millionaire?"), where a similar system
is used for querying the studio audience on trivia questions. But I still
think it is a good instrument to increase student involvement, and will
continue to argue for an implementation. Maybe the glacier can be nudged
into changing its path...

Kind regards,
Rainer

Dr. Rainer Scheuchenpflug