Hi all!

OK, so now the conversation has shifted to the dimension of "admissions criteria" and the claim has become: "courses offered at schools with more rigorous admissions criteria are more demanding academically than the (supposedly) same courses offered at schools with less rigorous admissions criteria."

This allows us to change the fictional examples from prior posts. For instance, courses offered at Blowfly State University, with minimal admissions criteria, are in the same boat (relatively speaking) as those offered at Blowfly Community College, at least when compared to courses offered at Yale University (or even, perhaps, the University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill).

And, in a similar manner, courses offered at the University of Pennsylvania--East Podunk would be about as demanding academically as those offered at East Podunk Community College.

Thus, "students" transferring their lower-division credits from these bottom-rung institutions of "higher" learning to a much more selective institution should, on average, be less well-prepared academically for upper-division coursework in the major compared to that institution's native students.

Now, this is a testable proposition. I'll bet that there's gobs of research we can examine!

Best,

Jeff

P.S. By the way, I'm sorry for giving these fictional "schools" derogatory names; but I would defend myself by pointing to the precedent already set. You see, the point here is not to put down these "schools" or their "faculty," but simply to suggest that the "schools" have very low admissions criteria. Thus, if I had referred to, say, "Pile of Rat Crap State University," I certainly would not be implying anything about the "faculty" hired to teach there or denying that some of the "school's" "students" have average to superior abilities (somewhat like autistic savants?). No, not at all! I only would be indicating that almost anyone, even perhaps the moderately (profoundly?) mentally retarded, could get admitted to the "school" and probably advance all the way through at least the lower- division coursework because of the "school's" very low academic standards.

See, no insult intended, so no insult should be taken!!

Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.
SCC, Division Chair of Social & Behavioral Sciences
MCCCD, General Studies Faculty Representative
Scottsdale Community College
9000 E. Chaparral Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85256-2626
Office Room #: SB-128