On 26 December 2006 Stephen wrote [snip], quoting the Blumenthal article
in the NY Times:

> "Did he have an affair with his wife's younger sister, Minna Bernays?".

Re-checking, I think it is possible that I erred here! (I'll have to check
this out with my colleagues involved with this material.)

My point is that Freud's sister-in-law was Minna Bernays, so in the given
circumstances she would not (as the Times letter writer seemingly implied
in the case of a woman over 30ish) go under the name of Frau Freud, but as
Frau Bernays.

However, my initial response was in relation to the letter in question,
but going back to the article we find that "Freud signed the book, in his
distinctive Germanic scrawl, 'Dr Sigm Freud u frau,' abbreviated German
for 'Dr. Sigmund Freud and wife'."

So, as I say, I'll have to sound out colleagues more knowledgeable about
the "German" aspect of this, and get back to TIPS when I have more
information.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London