And, there was the Sheffield and Roby (sp.?), "copulation without
ejaculation", drive *induction* studies.  What a surprise to teenage
boys!

Michael T. Scoles, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology & Counseling
University of Central Arkansas
Conway, AR 72035
501-450-5418
>>> "Wuensch, Karl L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 01/19/07 9:56 PM >>>
        Decades ago psychologists supposed that reinforcement was always
the result of the reduction of a drive that served to energize the
animal and direct it towards goals that would satisfy a biological need
(like food, water, air, etc.).  They had some difficulty explaining the
existence of behaviors that did not seem related to such simple
biological needs -- for example, monkeys enclosed in a chamber with a
window to the outside would work to open the window, apparent evidence
of a curiosity drive, which seemed not to satisfy any biological need --
or so they said, I never understood why these psychologists could not
see the obvious biological value of exploration of one's environment.
They also had problems with sex drive -- after all, you won't die if you
don't get sex, you just feel like you are going to die.  Here their
problem was that they were thinking of the individual organism, not its
genes.  Your genes do die if you never get any sex.  The reinforcing
property of saccharin was also very troublesome, since it does not
satisfy a need for food.  Maybe Michael S. was thinking of behaviors
that don't have obvious links to the satisfaction of basic biological
needs???

Cheers,

Karl W.