Let me recommend re proximal and distal causes a work by JJ Gibson
titled "The senses considered as perceptual systems" for a discussion
of
this topic.If I am not mistaken Gibson takes a nativist approach to
perceptual phenomena.
Btw,(associative nodality),I assume that Eleanor Gibson and JJ are
related.How close was their collaborative research?
 Re the famous Gibson and Walk depth perceptuation and the visual
cliff,
was that EJ or JJ?
And why wasn't there an uproar over this paradigm that induced fear
into
infants? Seem to me that the same issues that was raised by the Little
Albert experiment could also apply to this situation.

Michael Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida