Please excuse the cross-posting.

I think that the stages of sleep are differing states of consciousness, but
what about the following, which came up in class today?  I think some of  them
clearly are, some are controversial and some may not be, but I would like
the input of those who are more knowledgeable about this:

alpha (awake, relaxed)
when taking Benadryl or some other drugs with side effects of   drowsiness
and a change in alertness and
          reaction time
daydreaming
hypnosis
meditation
jet lag
persistent vegetative state
coma
traumatic brain injury

Also, do all of these produce changes in consciousness?   narcotics,
barbiturates, depressants, stimulants?

Thank you for your input.

Riki Koenigsberg
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])

http://www.aol.com.