From: David Epstein [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 3:43 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] Re: ANOVA interpretation

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, Rick Froman went:

> How would you interpret an ANOVA result where the F-test was
> significant but none of the multiple comparisons were significant in
> an HSD comparison?

Initially, I wrote a response as follows:

"Off the top of my head, I would say: An overall effect was detected, but
the sample sizes within individual cells were not sufficiently large to
attribute the effect to any specific pairwise comparison.

"Then I would talk, with due caution, about what it LOOKED like."

Then I did a Google search and found an explanation that's more abstruse,
but still seems to invoke the problem of small sample sizes:
<http://www.ats.ucla.edu/STAT/spss/library/manglm.htm> (scroll down to the
section "My tests don't agree!").  Note that the explanation does
*not* seem to be that you're missing "some more complicated contrast among
the means."

--David Epstein

http://acsun.frostburg.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=tips&text_mode=0&lang=engl
ish